A rich history, spanning over 60 years

Since Kurrajong’s inception in 1957, we have grown from a small operation established by community members, to a community organisation that supports over 1000 people with disability each year. We’re proud of our rich history in our local communities and we’re proud to have touched and positively impacted the lives of so many on our journey.

Our History Timeline

2017
2007
2005
2004
2003
2001
1999
1998
1995
1994
1991
1990
1987
1986
1985
1984
1983
1982
1981
1979
1978
1972
1971
1970
1967
1961
1960
1958
1957
  • The organisation’s name formally shortened to Kurrajong
  • Organisation rebranded and the service brands were created
  • NDIS roll-out
  • The organisation’s 60th anniversary.
  • Funding was received to help the organisation purchase and establish group homes to replace rental properties and establish a two-year pilot project known as InterLink
  • Kurrajong Waratah’s 50th year of providing services to babies, children and adults with disabilities and their families was celebrated.
  • Kurrajong Waratah merges with the Cypress Centre in Narrandera.
  • Kurrajong Early Intervention Centre – Tumut – was opened.
  • Negotiations with Wagga Wagga City Council started to purchase the old gasworks site in Chaston Street to run our recycling operations.
  • Kurrajong Waratah merges with Marashel Disability Services in West Wyalong and Allambie Disability Services in Leeton.
  • Retirelink was established to support the needs of adults with a disability as they age.
  • Kurrajong Waratah and West Wyalong employment service – Spins – merge to improve services and provide new opportunities for adults in the West Wyalong district.
  • Riverina Murray Area Disability Options (RMADO) was established to develop day options for adults with disabilities who have no access to employment or day services in the Riverina Murray Region.
  • The organisation’s name officially shortened to Kurrajong Waratah.
  • The adult hostel was closed. All adults with a disability were now able to live in the community.
  • Kurrajong Waratah was given the opportunity to manage and eventually own Rosebank Retirement Village through the generosity of the late Peter Pascoe and Joanne Pascoe.
  • Kurrajong Park School’s (Department of Education school) name was changed to Willans Hill School.
  • Kurrajong Waratah’s Work Solutions service established to support people with a disability to find and keep employment in community businesses.
  • First permanent home for Early Intervention established. A centre was opened in Red Hill Road with government funding and strong community support.
  • The organisation’s name formally shortened to Kurrajong Waratah Industries Ltd.
  • Warehouse building and land at Wentworth Street was purchased to move Waratah Industries from Railway Street.
  • Four community-based group homes for children’s accommodation were established, and the children’s hostel was closed
  • A group home for adults with severe and multiple disabilities was established
  • Funding received to set up a number of small businesses and close the Adult Training Centre.
  • Waratah Industries merged with Kurrajong Complex
  • The organisation was now known as Kurrajong Complex and Waratah Industries incorporating Early Intervention.
  • Wagga Early Intervention Service merged with Kurrajong Complex at their request.
  • On the resignation of Roger Barson, Steve Jaques was appointed as General Manager of Kurrajong Complex.
  • NSW Department of Education assumed responsibility for all children and adolescents with a disability at Kurrajong Park School. It is now known as Willans Hill School Kurrajong Complex. The organisation has had no responsibility for schooling since this time.
  • John Cozier retired. Roger Barson appointed as General Manager and the organisation became known as Kurrajong Complex.
  • Amy Hurd retired, and John Cozier, a long-standing Board Member, became Administrator.
  • Early Intervention started as an independent organisation to provide services to babies and children under five years and their families.
  • A hostel specifically for adults was established and opened on-site at Lord Baden Powell Drive.
  • Opening of the ‘Wal Wild’ Activity Centre in Chaston Street − now Kurrajong Recycling.
  • Opening of the ‘Wal Wild’ Activity Centre in Chaston Street − now Kurrajong Recycling.
  • Negotiations started for a merger between Kurrajong and Waratah Industries.
  • Waratah Industries started as an independent organisation with the help of the Wagga Apex Club.
  • Education Department opened Kurrajong Park Special School on the same land as Kurrajong School
  • Opening of the first hostel providing accommodation for children and adults.
  • First school building of Kurrajong School at Lord Baden Drive site was opened with funds raised by Jaycees. No Government funding was available.
  • First registered school at Croaker Hall Wagga Showgrounds was established – five days a week.
  • The land, which Kurrajong Administration and other services are on today, was acquired from the NSW Education Department on a lease arrangement.
  • The organisation was first formed and known then as The Society for the Welfare of Retarded Children.
  • Women’s Auxiliary was formed to help with fundraising.
  • A minding centre was established for one day a week at the Girl Guide Hall in Johnston Street.
  • Jaycees ‘adopted’ Kurrajong to build a school for children with disabilities.

Connect with us