• What goes into my yellow-lid bin?

    Only recycle household containers from your kitchen, bathroom, laundry or office (glass containers, steel cans, aluminium cans and foil, rigid plastic containers, paper and cardboard). Only recycle plastics numbered 1 to 6. Containers need to be empty, rinsed and drained. Remove lids and put them in your yellow-lid bin too. Put steel container lids inside their tins if possible. Remember, ‘when in doubt throw it out’ into red-lid bin.


    Recycling your containers with food or fluid remaining and putting the wrong items in the bin affects our workers’ safety, costs us thousands of dollars in landfill fees ($145/tonne), damages our machinery, slows the recycling process, makes the workplace unpleasant, contaminates recyclable items, and reduces the value of our products.


    For a detailed list of what goes in which bin view the Wagga Wagga City Council’s FAQ and our Fact Sheet

  • What cannot go into my yellow-lid bin?

    Do not put items into the yellow-lid bin that are not the correct household containers or packaging, as we cannot sell them and must pay to take them to the landfill.


    No soft plastic like plastic bags, cling film, or plastic bags tied up and full of recyclable items.


    No polystyrene boxes, packaging or beans. Take these to be recycled at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre. We lack the machinery to recycle them at Kurrajong Recycling.


    No bedding, curtains, pillows, clothing, toys, furniture, shoes, backpacks, electrical appliances, hoses, dripper lines or scrap metal.


    We cannot recycle shredded paper from a yellow-lid bin as it acts like confetti, covering the other items and falling off the sorting belt. It is also too fine to effectively press into a bale. Home and office shredding machines shred paper too finely. We provide a paper-shredding service (shredding paper to a size we can bale), so please bring in any private documents at a cost of $1.25/kg. Put your home- or office-shredded paper into your green-lid bin for composting.


    No chemical, fuel, oil or poison containers can be recycled through kerbside collection, so remember, ‘when in doubt throw it out’ into red-lid bin. However, we may accept certain larger plastic drums from businesses if brought to our Chaston St site after phoning to confirm suitability.


    For a detailed list of what does not go into your bin, please view our Fact Sheet.


    Learn more about the importance of ‘Recycling Right.

  • How clean do items need to be before putting into yellow-lid bin?

    To ensure a safe and pleasant workplace and a good clean, and saleable product, please empty, rinse and drain all containers. This reduces the smell of food rotting that attracts vermin, and the slip hazard of edible oil and shampoos leaking onto workplace floors. Also, remove lids and place in yellow-lid to assist with drying out containers. Food remains attract insects which can be a biosecurity hazard for products sold overseas and lead to costly fumigation at ports or carriers reluctant to transport our materials.

  • Lids on or lids off?

    Remove lids and place them in yellow-lid bin. This will help your container to dry out after you have emptied the contents and rinsed it. Rinsed and drained containers do not attract insects or vermin that may cause buyers or carriers to reject a bale of recycling.

  • Can you recycle plastic bags?

    Recycle your plastic bags and soft plastic packaging at Coles and Woolworths’ in-store collection bins through their RedCycle Program. These plastics are processed into speed bumps, bollards, outdoor furniture and planks by REPLAS ─ a Victorian plastic manufacturer. Find out more at www.redcycle.net.au

  • Where does my recycling go?

    Australian and international markets for recycled materials, and the quality and quantity of our materials determine where we sell your recycled materials. Australia has few manufacturing companies that can use recycled material, so much of the nation’s recycling must be sold overseas. As some of our buyers on-sell our materials, we do not know all the end-users of our products.


    Our glass bottles and jars are intentionally broken during the sorting process, and some is sold to a Brisbane company to make new containers. Most of our glass is processed into crushed glass and sold to councils and businesses for road making, pipe-laying backfill, and site stabilisation around buildings or sites such as sewage-treatment works.


    Victorian, NSW, Queensland and international companies buy our number 1, 2 and 5 plastics which are the most saleable plastics. These companies may process and on-sell these plastics, or make new products such as pallets, irrigation pipes; soft drink, shampoo and detergent bottles; outdoor furniture, carpet fibres, fleece jackets, fence posts, bollards, plumbing pipe fittings, and compost bins.


    As Australia has no rolling mills and very few smelting facilities, companies on-sell our aluminium to South Korean and other international companies for rolling and smelting and then reuse by industry. Recycled aluminium is used to make aluminium cans, automotive engines, window and door frames, saucepans and other homewares.


    Our steel cans are purchased by a company in Albury that on-sells to foundries in Australia, NZ, Asia and India. We also sell to an international company that distributes steel to their Australian steel mills and international customers. A local metal business is the sole buyer for all our steel scrap metal. Steel is recycled into new steel cans, cars, construction steel, aeroplanes and train tracks. Steel and aluminium can be recycled indefinitely unlike recycled plastics, paper and cardboard.


    Currently, three companies buy our bales of cardboard for pulping and remanufacture into new products. These materials are processed locally and abroad and used in manufacturing cardboard boxes, paper bags, egg cartons, cereal boxes, newspaper, toilet rolls and kitty litter. The layers of paper used in its construction make cardboard more durable than paper.


    We process paper into bales of shredded (from our document destruction service) and un-shredded paper, mixed-colour paper or white paper. Our paper is purchased and processed by a number of Australian and international companies. Some shredded paper is sold locally for packaging and animal bedding. Paper and cardboard are recycled into similar products such as cardboard boxes, fruit and egg cartons, cereal boxes, newspaper, toilet rolls, insulation, kitty litter, and small animal bedding and litter.


    E-waste contains large amounts of plastic, metals and precious metals including gold, silver, platinum, nickel, zinc, aluminium and copper. Most of our disassembled e-waste is taken to Melbourne. The cabling, circuit boards, glass, metals and plastics are then processed or on-sold as raw materials for making new products in Australia and overseas. Our dismantled Perspex TV and computer screens are used by a Wagga Wagga business.


    Hopefully, Australia will support the growth of local industries and ‘close the resource loop’ within our country and reduce our dependency on overseas markets. But until then, the economic viability of Australia’s recycling industry depends on being able to sell into both Australian and international markets.

  • Can you recycle the cardboard from my business?

    Yes. We operate a recycling service for businesses that includes providing bins and collection for either cardboard, paper or mixed recycling (glass, plastics, aluminium and steel containers). Please speak with us about your recycling needs. We can also securely shred documents and receive your e-waste on-site.

  • Do you take electrical appliances?

    We cannot recycle electrical appliances (e.g. shavers, fans, microwave ovens, toasters) as there is no market for their disassembled materials. If they are incorrectly sent to us, we pay $145 tonne to send them to landfill. Please put these items in your red-lid bin.


    We can only recycle E-waste (televisions, computers, printers, and certain computer parts and peripherals), as it is supported by the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme. This scheme provides Australian households and small businesses with access to free industry-funded collection and recycling services ONLY FOR televisions and computers, including printers, computer parts and peripherals.


    Recycle your e-waste by taking it to Gregadoo Waste Management Centre. Businesses and organisations can bring their e-waste directly to 54 Chaston Street.


    Learn more about ‘E-waste Recycling’.

  • Do you take batteries?

    We no longer provide a battery drop-off service as we lack the weather-proof areas to safely store them. Take your batteries to: Battery World, Person St (AA, AAA, mobile phone batteries, steel lead-acid car batteries, power tool Lithium batteries); Supercheap Auto, Berry St take all battery types (and vehicle oil containers); Gregadoo Waste Management Centre (car, truck and motorbike batteries); Aldi stores (AA, AAA, 9 V, D and C); Office Works (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V); Wagga Wagga Council’s Civic Centre Community Recycling Station box, corner Morrow St and Baylis St (household batteries as well as light globes, ink cartridges, and mobile phones and their accessories); Woolworths accepts household batteries.


    All batteries should be recycled and NEVER put in your recycling or general waste bin as they are a fire hazard. This also includes batteries in laptops, mobile phones, power tools and cameras.


    Some batteries contain toxic metals like lead, cadmium and mercury and others contain zinc and magnesium that are valuable materials. The Australian Battery Recycling Initiative has been formed by a group of battery manufacturers, recyclers, retailers, government bodies and environment groups to promote the collection, recycling and safe disposal of all batteries.

  • Do you take light bulbs?

    We cannot recycle light bulbs or fluorescent tubes; however, you can take them to your Council’s Community Recycling Station.


    Wagga Wagga Council has a box for light bulbs in their Council building foyer. Both fluorescent tubes and light bulbs can be recycled at the Gregadoo Waste Management Centre.


    Learn more about what is accepted at Gregadoo.

  • How can I apply to work for Kurrajong Recycling?

    Visit our Careers page to find out more.

Still have more questions?